Today’s word of the day is ‘Tortuous‘ Let us understand more about this word.
Tortuous [ tawr-choo-uhs ]
What is the etymology of the word?
The adjective comes from the late Middle English: via Old French from Latin tortuosus.
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is an adjective, i.e., it adds more information about the noun or sentence.
Does the word have a past tense? What is it?
No, the word is an adjective. Therefore, it does not have a past form.
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Tedha-medhapan
2. Spanish – Tortuoso(masculine); Tortuosa(feminine)
3. French – Tortueux(masculine); Tortueuse(feminine)
4. Mandarin – Qūzhé
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. Long, tortuous lines of light showed immense numbers of large fish darting about as if in consternation.
2. When the tortuous snake moved across the Sahara Desert, his body made an S-shape in the sand.
3. It is in threading these tortuous windings that many a fearless venturer has lost foot-hold and been utterly cast away.
4. With the sign showing a tortuous road up ahead, we realized that we were traveling down the bends of the mountain.
5. A magnificent view is had from Sparrow Hill; the ascent is made by a steep and tortuous road.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
circuitous, convoluted, indirect, labyrinthine, meandering, serpentine, twisting, winding, anfractuous, bent, crooked, curved, flexuous, involute, mazy, meandrous, roundabout, sinuous, snaky, vermiculate, zigzag, etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
direct, simple, straight, straightforward, easy, uncomplicated, uninvolved, untwisted, etc
Using a typewriter, at times, feels more like playing piano than jotting down notes, a percussive exercise in expressing thought that is both tortuous and rewarding.
Here's something to take your mind off this tortuous heat. Today we have 2 closed 2 current. All the usual stuff for the regulars ,answers go up at 6.30pm for the newbies. Thanks in advance for all Retweets likes and guesses they really do make the difference. Enjoy. pic.twitter.com/7G4wnc2Xrd
— merlyn edwards (@allmanbros2) July 19, 2021