Today’s word of the day is ‘Apprehensive‘ Let us understand more about this word.
Apprehensive [ ap-ri-hen-siv ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is an adjective, i.e., it adds more information about the noun.
Does the word have a past tense? What is it?
No, since the word is an adjective, it doesn’t have a past form.
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Bhayabheet
2. Spanish – Aprensiva (feminine) and aprensivo (masculine)
3. French – Inquiète (feminine) and inquiet (masculine)
4. Mandarin – Yōulǜ
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. He felt apprehensive about going home.
2. While Cynthia was apprehensive over the wildness of the area, once there, the stark beauty that engulfed her dispelled her earlier trepidation.
3. Many children are apprehensive about riding a bike without training wheels.
4. Being apprehensive that the French center would tack and pass this gap so as to put him between two fires, he kept a long way off so as to be free to maneuver against them if they made the attempt.
5. Rikki uncovered this fact first but was apprehensive about sharing it with her parents or her sister because she didn’t want to be ridiculed by society.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
Afraid, concerned, doubtful, jittery, jumpy, suspicious, uncertain, uneasy, uptight, alarmed, biting nails, butterflies, disquieted, feel in bones, foreboding, frozen, get vibes, have a hunch, have cold feet, have a funny feeling, have a stage fright, hung up, in a cold sweat, in a dither, in a sweat, jellyfish, lily-livered, mistrustful, running scared, scaredy-cat, shaky, stiff, troubled, weak, worried, worried sick, etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
Calm, certain, clear, collected, composed, confident, cool, definite, easy-going, happy, laid-back, sure, unquestionable, at ease, quiet, unafraid, undoubting, unfearful, unsuspicious, unworried, etc.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side.
This is an unfortunate thread! I get that Sony depends on their big budget titles, but they’ve gotta invest in something more niche or give some other studio a chance. Shutting down the studio remaking TLOU and handing it to ND has me really apprehensive for the upcoming years. https://t.co/PGGPApawOE
— JupiterDawg (@JupiterDawg) April 9, 2021