Today’s word of the day is ‘Penance.’ Let us understand more about this word.
penance [ pen–uh ns ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is a noun, i.e., it is the main subject of a sentence.
1. Reparation for wrong
How is the word ‘Penance’ pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Tapasya
2. Spanish – Penitencia
3. French – Pénitence
4. Mandarin – Kǔ xiū
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. He forced himself to face them regularly as a penance and a corrective.
2. I say because it is a part of my penance for the sin which I have sinned.
3. I suppose he’s going to keep me waiting for days, as a penance.
4. In prayer and penance and fasting he would find help and consolation.
5. It’s only a life of penance and suffering you’ve come back to, my poor lad.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
absolution, atonement, contrition, forgiveness, penitence, remorse, repentance, retribution, attrition,, compensation, compunction, confession, expiation, mortification, penalty, punishment, purgation, rue, ruth
self-flagellation, shrift, sorrow, suffering, remorsefulness etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
happiness, joy, reward
This is me, a sinner on whom the Lord has turned his gaze. And this is what I said when they asked me if I would accept my election as pontiff. I am a sinner, but I trust in the infinite mercy and patience of our Lord Jesus Christ, and I accept in a spirit of penance.
id you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!